A healthier twist on a traditional cookie. Try to buy organic dried ginger, as ginger is one of those foods that tends to be heavily contaminated with pesticides. At Christmas I try to make my baking a little healthier but still use some organic white flour. Some of those Christmas cookies are just not the same without it.
- ¾ cup butter or coconut oil
- 1 cup unrefined raw cane sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup organic molasses
- 1 and ½ cup spelt flour
- 1 cup white organic flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons dried ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 and ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup crystallized ginger cut into small pieces
- zest from one lemon
- Cream butter or oil with sugar.
- Add egg and molasses.
- Add lemon zest, fresh ginger and crystallized ginger.
- Mix both flours, baking soda, cinnamon and powdered ginger in another bowl.
- Add the butter mixture.
- Using a small scoop or spoon make small mounds and portion onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 350°F. Let cool for a minute or two before removing from sheet.