This dish can easily be prepared ahead and frozen. Put it into the freezer raw and then thaw in the morning of your meal and bake just before you eat. Easy and SO delicious!
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups grated parsnip
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1/8 cup unsalted butter
- 1/8 cup flour
- 1 cup milk or stock
- ¼ cup cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- Put grated vegetables in a large bowl.
- Firstly make a white sauce with the butter flour and milk.
- First make a roux ~ whisk the butter and flour in a saucepan and let cook for a minute to get rid of the flour taste. Add the milk and whisk into a smooth sauce.
- In another bowl whisk together the egg, cream, parmesan, and all herbs.
- Mix egg mixture into the white sauce and then add to the vegetables.
- Transfer into a buttered casserole dish and bake at 375°F for one hour.