- Increase Stomach Acid – apple cider vinegar before meals, and no other liquids before or during meals.
- Up your Vit. C levels – red peppers, berries, citrus, or plain old ascorbic acid
- Beets and Greens – eat ‘em, juice ‘em, just get ‘em in! Remember to drizzle them with lemon juice to increase absorption!
- Reduce consumption of antinutrient foods – including all grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds. By soaking, sprouting, fermenting, and/or cooking you can neutralize or reduce this iron binding effect.
- Eat Meat – that is, of course, if you’re not vegetarian/vegan. Grass fed beef, or free range chicken (dark) is one of the best sources of heme iron. If that’s not an option, go for blackstrap molasses (baked beans!), dried figs and apricots, or pumpkin seed butter. These are good plant based options.
Come in and talk to our educated staff team for more ideas on enriching your diet with this vital mineral!
Written by, Krista Boulding, RHN & Sandy Davies, RHN